Sunday, April 28, 2013

"Are the stars out tonight?"


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/28/13


"I don't know if it's cloudy or bright, 'cause I only have eyes for" --------Miss Rita Wilburn. She is a sight for "old" eyes and the gal can sing. Last night they celebrated Rita's "22d" birthday at BJBs. I'm not good at math but her son is 24. I'm working on it! The joint was packed. Three deep at the bar and not a seat to be had except the 2 at my little round hi-top. All for good reason. Helping Miss Rita in the celebration were Troy "Louis" Anderson (trumpet/vocals), Danny "stand-up" Burger (drums), Dolf Castellano (piano) and on electric bass(unusual for him) Rick Doll. The empty seats at my table were quickly filled with Ron(anonymous). I made him famous by mentioning the Detroit dance man in a previous blog. Shortly thereafter we were joined by my pal, Alfreda. Turns out that she and Ron Anonymous grew up in the same Motor City neighborhood and had mutual friends. Babette was seated on her reserved bar stool surrounded by good friends. After a couple of openers, Troy invited Rita up to the stage. They did a vocal duet of "All Of Me" which quieted the chattering audience. Troy did "I took the front door in" and Rita followed with a slow tempo "Rock Me Baby" . If anything in the world keeps my heart rate accelerated it's a tall, shapely, pretty gal singing a provocative BLUES lyric. The line is "rock me baby 'til my back ain't got no bone"---Oh yeah!! Troy, working hard over the past few years, has shown marked improvement in his trumpet stylings. His "Satchmo" impressions are always a crowd pleaser. They closed the set with "Caravan". Danny took advantage of his time by playing the 2nd longest drum solo known to mankind. The first is the one done by the Indians warning one another of General Custer's approach. Other obligations(sleep) forced Alfreeda to leave after the first set but Ron Anonymous and I were quickly joined by his friend Anna Burrell. Yes, she is related to Kenny. The band opened the 2d set with a swinging "Route 66" and followed with a boppish "Lullaby of Birdland". They played everything from Cab Callaway to Thelonius Monk. Troy had folks dancing "the fish" to his "Blueberry Hill". Somewhere along the line, Miss Rita held her hand out to mine, indicating she wanted to dance. I being the perfect gentleman, and somewhat in love, obliged the lady. She can sing, she can dance, she is a head taller than I, so when she is wearing heels, certain parts of her anatomy are in a direct sight line-----what more can an old fool ask out of life. Rita returned to the stage with a soulful "Summertime" and followed with a rocking "Baby Eyes"---ooooh-ooooh-ooooh!

Mike, the amazing bar back at BJB's walks by carrying 14 bottles of wine(not in a case). That is why I call him amazing. Bobby Rodriguez has joined the audience and Troy invites him to the stage. While this is going on Lourdes Valentin, returning from a Palm Beach gig joins Ron, Anna and I. Bobby does "Missed The Saturday Dance" and shows his JAZZ oriented stylings. The tune is one I used to sing playing with my teen-age band in the '40s. Lourdes was next, doing a Cinderella tune " A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes" and then "What a Wonderful World". She is a vision and has great style. After Lourdes' song Troy did "Sleepy Time Down South" The band started to play "Misty" and Erek Johnson got up to help with a little vocal. The band didn't stop playing 'til well after 1AM. I find it impossible to leave good musicians behind. I am always there when they walk out the door.

This afternoon Debbie Orta at the Unitarian Church in Kendall. This weeks other birthdays include Debbie's husband Nick and bassist Jaime Ousley .Wednesday is Ira Sullivan's #<+% birthday at BJB's. He will officially become a year older than I. Man, let me tell you, THAT'S OLD!!!!! I have to really make adjustments to my life style---"another Stoli rocks, please!" 




Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment