Saturday, April 13, 2013

A day in the life of a... w/ Al Kanovsky


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/13/13


…music lover. Especially JAZZ & BLUES.

Let's start the day at WLRN(91.3FM) with Ed Bell and his guest artist of the month. A live broadcast from the stations studio. The guest, award winning composer/vocalist/pianist Jacob Jeffries and the quartet. The members Derek Citron on the Cajon(box), Brian Lang(bass) and Jimmy Powers V on guitar. They opened with a Caribbean flavor and continued with a number that Jacob had composed while in the shower. Hey, this guy is writing songs and most of the time I can't find the soap. Putting jest aside, I must say, Jacob and the band had me paying attention to lyrics and melodies. It would be hard to put their music in a "box". It's not BLUES. It's not JAZZ. It's just good music.

Interesting melody and thoughtful lyric combined to make listening a delight. The musical influences of Simon, Joel and the Beatles are heard but are not copies. Everything I heard was original in thought and play. Jacob writes the music with his band mates. The only way I can describe it is  "music and poetry happily married". There were lines that caught me---"tell me secrets no one else will know"---"I don't think I can care about you less"---"I don't look for love, love comes looking for me", stuff like that. It touched this "old bird". In making comments to Ed, Jacob thanked him for his hospitality saying that it was "connecting people that want to listen with people who want to play". It is really that simple. He has been in FL. for 8 months having moved from New York City. The band did a tune dedicated to the victims of Hurricane Sandy's devastation. I would describe Jacob as a now-a-days "balladeer"---no, I think troubadour is a better word. Every song tells a story. sometimes happy, sometimes sad, but all told with sensitivity. When asked about what song he wished he had written he said, "That's easy. Yesterday" Paul McCartney's Beatles song. He continued saying that it was his mothers favorite as well as being the most covered song in the history of music, "the money wouldn't hurt either". It was his 25th birthday yesterday and I wish him a Happy Birthday as I think of "Things To Come". Enjoying the music with me were George Early who got me the Radio Reading gig, vocalist Ginger Vela and BLUES musician Graham Wood Drout (Iko-Iko) with his wife Rose?--mary?--lyn?---Roseanne, that's it Roseanne. Let it suffice to say we all were impressed.  I left the studio with a "Happy Face" and knowing that the future of music is in good hands.   

Not so fast. The early evening had a concert by a quartet of FIU Music students at the Wolfsonian on Miami Beach. When I arrived I saw Kelly Gonzalez(trumpet) in the audience. Kelly is a music student as well and shows up at Jams all around town. She is dedicated to her future as a JAZZ artist. Kelly was kind enough to supply me with the quartet’s names. Ryan Hecker(drums), Kenneth Jiminez(bass), Luis Urbana(keys) and the "elder" of the group, Sam Savage playing trombone. They opened with "DejaVu" written by Kenneth. The program continued with other original compositions and arrangements of the band members. No amps, no mics (except a small one on the bass), no electronics. Just good musicians displaying their "chops". Unfortunately the program lasted only an hour. I wanted to hear more. Well, maybe next time.

Okay. It's coming up on 9PM. I'm hungry and my need for music has not been sated. Where to go? Where to go?  I'm North on A1A. I've had a taste of all but the BLUES. The Big Easy!!! On Hollywood Blvd.
Effellay (*Editor’s note: I don’t have a CLUE where Al is going with that word!), that is. I have to say it was a good choice. An adult beverage, a cup of gumbo and a host of good friends and better musicians. On stage as I walked in, Dave Shelly, Billy Vazquez, Charles Gaspar and Randy Radenauer. If you are not familiar with these names---shame on you. They are groovin' and have me tappin' and clappin' even before I sit down with Niles "Red Beans" Blaize, his wife Marie, Kyle and my special bud, Dave 'the cat in the hat". The "Joint is Jumpin'" with gals shaking whatever they have to shake and guys shouting encouragement. Off to one side I spy a guy playing air guitar. He's wearing shades and a cap pulled low on his forehead. Curiosity may have killed a cat, but not this cat. I approached him carefully. "What's your name?” I queried. He responded in a confident tone. "Herbie". My turn, "How long have you been playing air guitar?". Him "I have a real guitar at home". Me. "How old are you?" Him "6". I asked for his autograph. He gave it to me.

Dave asked Niles up on stage. Niles selected one of his 300 harmonicas and brought N'orleans right through the doors of the Big Easy. "Big Fun on the Bayou”, "Take Me To The Mardi Gras", Man, I tell you I wanted to grab a bus. Billy closes the set with "Pride and Joy" and I thought the walls would come crashing down. Michael Anthony(guitar) came up for a couple in the second set and I was happy he did. As I say--"The cat can play". The night is coming to a close. Billy lets his hair come loose from the pony-tail and the band get's downright dirty-funky with amazing solos by all. The drum solo by Randy is shaking the rafters. "I'm busting out of this joint." I shake hands, kiss the gals and go to meet my midnight partner, the Real Tracy Fields (91.3FM).



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment