Friday, March 22, 2013

the tenses...not as in "My ear muscles tenses up when I hear good jazz," either....


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 3/22/13


This is not meant to be an English lesson even though we will talk about tense--past, present and future.

ex: it was, it is, it will be.

Instead we will talk about music appreciation. My love for America's native-born art form, JAZZ.

Flo's closest friend, Selma, was in town visiting with relatives. She, her niece Roni, our friends Michael and Joseph and I, met for dinner and music at Luca's Cantina 71 in Miami Beach. Mo Morgen holds Jam sessions there Thurs, Fri and Sat. nites. Mo is a multi-instrumentalist playing keys, various reeds including sopranito and bass clarinet. In addition he sings. I had, on previous occasions, warned him about doing it. Well, I must admit, either I'm getting used to his voice or he's taking vocal lessons. Selma compared his voice to that of Matt Monroe---that's the past.  He and the musicians that come to sit in, play JAZZ and Pop standards but bring the tunes in to the present. It makes for "good listening". 

When we left, all of them headed home and I continued on to the VanDyke Upstairs. It was an opportunity to hear Felipe Lamoglia(tenor, soprano, EWI), his band and the music of the future. I arrived just as the 2d set was about to begin. On stage with Felipe were Hilario Bell(drums), Armando Gola(bass), Kemuel Roig(keys), and Eddie Trujillo playing guitar. They opened the set with an original tune that featured a solo by Kemuel Roig on the keyboard. From this point on be prepared to read superlatives. Kemuel had me leaning forward to listen more intently. His right hand was playing more notes per measure than is humanly possible and still made sense and was thrilling. Armand Gola's creativity on his bass solos had me shaking my head at his amazing creativity. Eddie Trujillo stroked guitar solos as sensitive as any I have ever heard. Hilario Bell knows dynamics. He did drum solos that can literally make you forget that anybody else ever played that instrument. What can I say about the musician named Felipe Lamoglia. Maestro, doesn't come close. Virtuoso would only touch on his talent. His music embodies the JAZZ of the future. The late great Charlie "Yardbird" Parker would have stepped up to congratulate his performance. This band had me shaking my head in amazement. Forgetting even to lift my drink to my lips. Transfixed. With due respect to all the JAZZmen I have listened to in the last decade, this was far and away the best band of them all. The talent; unbridled and flawless. I am still "Dizzy” with the excitement they generated. 

A nonagenarian named Salvatore Capozuca, was in the audience. Like me he is out listening to music every night. In his "yute" (he is a native New Yorker) he played drums with his local dance bands. Sal knows his JAZZ and he also could only mouth superlatives. Joining us in the audience was a young man of the now generation. He is a native of Majorca, Spain and presently is the Assistant Director of Sales and Marketing at the Setai. His name is Ivan Bauza and he is a devoted JAZZophile. The Bauza name is familiar to those of us who are fans of Latin JAZZ.

Emotionally spent I put myself in the hands of the "Real" Tracy Fields, 91.3 FM. It was late, so she only got me part of the way home. I was rescued by the JAZZ on 88.9. Tonight at the Knight Center--- The JAZZ ROOTS series presents "Cubop", a tribute to the past. Paquito Riviera and Jon Faddis along with others will be featured (Including the FIU Jazz Big Band!). There may still be a few seats available. See the Arsht Center website for further info. I will definitely be there.  C.U.    

Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment