Friday, March 8, 2013

A Tip from a Friend...begs the question of Al...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 3/8/13
The other day I ran into Barbara Van. We talked about this and that and she tipped me off to a big band playing Thursday nights at a restaurant name Ye Olde Falcon Pub in Davie.( *Publisher’s Note* Hey Al! Have you looked in the listings of the publication that posts your screeds lately?  www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/BrowardCounty )  In all honesty, I have not been one to frequent places that start their names with "Ye Olde" anything. And "Pub" does not envision a live music venue, rather a room full of loud guys quaffing pints of beer.

The "Falcon" is what its name implies with one exception. It does have live music on Thursday night. Good Big Band music at that. Mike Norris heads a big band that plays great charts. The room is comparatively small and the band is BIG. On trumpets, John Shev, Bob Vandervoort, and Mark Ordway--Trombones, Jim McGonigal, Mark Edwards, Steve Mayer, and Larry Sturm--Sax section with Carlos Pinera, Bill Pierno, Carl Castle and Martin Fried--guitar Aaron Stand,--bass, Juan--Drums, Mike "sticks" Norris and on keys Mari Bell. (Mari will be honored tonight at the Dillard School For the Arts Gala). The band is tight, playing charts from the Basie, Herman, Brown and Dorsey bands. Too bad there is no room for anyone to dance. The Norris band drew an audience that covered all the age groups including mine and students attending close-by FAU. The band alternates players every other week so it stays fresh. Had a great time listening and talking with Mike's brother who is a rock/blues bass guitarist. They start promptly (unusual) at 8 pm and play 'til 10 pm which gave me time to continue on my mission of music listening. Barbara had recommended the "Fish & Chips". She was right on.

It still being relatively early (for me) I continued on to Blue Jeans BLUES and The Sound of Vision Band. Valerio Cantori had invited a special guest vocalist, Warren Hill.
A special guest who turned out to be extra-special. Stage presence, musical interpretation, voice, whistle and some stage dance moves that must have made him a star in college. He is a CPA during daylight hours but his stage personna belies that. A lot of guys showed up to sit-in. Including Lucias Macias, Nat Jordan and Cody Allen. Cody has a remarkable memory and remembered me and Flo from our having seen him way back in June of last year. He and Valerio did Monk's "Well You Needn't" which satisfied my be-bop "jones". Warren sang "My Funny Valentine". It was a favorite of Flo's and it tugged at my heart strings. Thanks to all the musicians who fill my life and to Flo(RIP) who taught me how to LIVE. 

I am planning on going to the Cuban JAZZ Festival in December. The trip runs from Dec.15th to the 23d. The date includes my birthday(82). If you are considering joining me in this adventure contact me at alkanon@hotmail.com for further details.
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment