Sunday, March 3, 2013

"Put the Blame On--------Bette"...and the all the rest says Al...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 3/3/13



Man, let me tell you. I had a really good time last night. Put The Blame On----- the shoulders of Ms. Bette. Actually she shares the blame with a number of people. First of whom is Drew Tucker and the band he assembled for an appearance at Arts Garage in Delray Beach. Also sharing the responsibility is Alyona Ushe, Executive Director, and the staff of volunteers at this great venue. Let's get to what manifested this "really good time".

Drew Tucker(vibes) was out front, resplendent in a Tux, complete with a black carnation boutonniere and pocket handkerchief. He stepped out onto the stage and started the performance alone on stage, then the drummer, John Anderson, followed by guitarist Beto Rubinelli, then Sam Johnson on bass, Doug Carter on keys and completing the band Rajesh Bhandari playing tablar. Prior to the performance I had spoken with Russell Sykes, a fellow JAZZophile, and neither of us had heard Drew before. From the opening notes on we knew we were in for something special. And we were right. The excitement was apparent as the audience moved closer up on their seats in rapt attention to the music. "Vibes" is in my top 3 of instruments I love. Back in the day, I had the opportunity to hear them all, Lionel Hampton, Milt Jackson, Red Norvo, Terry Gibbs. I must say that Drew stands alongside any of them in the musicianship department. He had completed his education at Berkeley in Boston and it shows. At the beginning Mr, Tucker explained that he wanted to show a little bit of his "funky" side. Funky or not it was JAZZ as it should be played. He had a number of guest vocalists including Eddy Bustamante, Catherine Yarborough, Ashley Lee(Yelo) and hip-hop artist Eric Berrios. Eric impressed me with his lyrical style, as much JAZZ as hip-hop. No 'bitches", 'ho's. or pimps, just a story about "street" life and including the lines "My tongue is my brush, my beat is my canvas." Tablar are hand played drums and as opposed to congas they are struck with individual fingers instead of palms or closed fingers. The effect is haunting. During the first set they played "Funny Valentine". It was Flo's favorite tune. Drew's impassioned solo brought her memory into the room with me. They opened the 2d set with Mr. Tucker in shirtsleeves and sitting at the drum kit. He is just as adept at "drumming" as he is at "viving".This set was dedicated to BLUES and opened with my all time "fav"--Gershwin's "Summertime". A great big round of applause to each and every member of this band that made last night very special. I forgot to mention that when Drew came out on stage he was accompanied by a beautiful woman who did a bass drum background with her voice. I was remiss in not getting her name but she is definitely worthy of mention. Do not, I repeat, do not pass up any opportunity to listen to Drew Tucker and this great band. 

How did this all come about. Well, I was "zipping up" when the phone rang. I answered. "Hello Bette"--modern technology identifies the caller---"Hi Al, where are you going tonight?" "I am headed to BJB's to hear Jesse Jones Jr." " No you're not!!! You are going to Art's Garage to listen to Drew Tucker"---isn't it strange how the women of today like taking charge?---I say "Why?" She doesn't, thankfully say --because I said so--instead she says "because he is wonderful" She was right--he is and so was the entire bunch of musicians who joined him on stage.----again, I had a really good time---Put the blame on Bette and Drew and Sam and Doug and John and Beto and Raj and Eddie and Catherine and Eric and Alyona and the unnamed gal. Thanks to all of you!!!
~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment