Wednesday, March 6, 2013

"Life Can Be A Dream" ...and Al isn't losing sleep over it...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 3/6/13

"Life Can Be A Dream", if you can get old, real old, and  still get out to listen to the music that young players are producing, paving the way to tomorrow. Last night at the VanDyke Upstairs, David Susnjar(drums) led a septet of talented players including Chad Bernstein(trombone), Cisco Dimas(trumpet), David Sanchez(tenor/soprano sax), Martin Bejerano(piano), Don Kerr(bass) and the very young Jonathan Hullit on cajon(sound box). I took a moment to ask Jonathan how it felt to a young player to perform at an iconic JAZZ venue such as the Van Dyke. His answer impressed me. "My ability and talent was given to me by the Lord. It's my job to repay that gift, by playing music anywhere, and appreciating any audience, whether it be in the street, rehearsal studio, club or even at home. Even if it's one person peeking in while I practice." You can see what impressed me. By the way, the name Jonathan means "Gift From G-d". The reason I know that is my son bears that name also. Now back to the JAZZ. All or most of what the band played are Daniels compositions or charts. It gave each of the band members a chance display their individual talents. The first set started with a tune introducing what Daniel explained as Afro-Peruvian rhythms. We continued our travels north from South America to the rhythms of the Caribbean. The song seemed familiar. I recognized the melody but not the way it was being played. Daniel helped me out. "Toro Mato" a song made famous by Celia Cruz on a recording of the Fania All Stars about 40 or more years ago. We continued our northward trek, to New Orleans represented by an original "2d Line" tune. That one got me clappin' and tappin'. Back to South America with a plaintive melody set to a Peruvian folk rhythm called "landos". To conclude the first set, the band picked it up with a rhythm poem and the native tempo known as "festajo" And festive it was. During the break I asked Cisco who, if anybody, influenced his playing. He told me that early on he had listened to a lot of Lee Morgan. Then didn't listen for a while but recently gone back to it. A few social notes: Jim Gasior & a couple of his students stopped to say Hi--Jeanette Pena and her lovely niece Giselle joined me at the bar--on my other side 2 beautiful young ladies, Iris Torres and Kim Nguyen, who make up Cisco's "Fan Club". Behind the "stick" Julian keeping me well oiled." I know it's a tough gig, but somebody-----------. The second set was even more exciting with each of the band members making their solo time count. At the conclusion of one number, Daniel and Jonathan "traded 8s" including knee and chest clapping by Daniel. It was what they call a show stopper. The septet closed the show down with a spirited version of the classic "Caravan". Martin's solo was filled with imaginative riffs which required dexterity and alacrity not often heard in some of today's younger players. Congratulations to Daniel, who will successfully complete his quest for a Doctorate at the close of this semester. The last note fades away. Its way past "'Round About Midnight"---"Carry Me Back"---to somewhere where I can lay my body down and sleep!!!!!!  

~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment