Sunday, March 24, 2013

It is with deep regret------that Al can't be everywhere...all the time...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 3/24/13


It is painful to admit, even to myself, that I can only be in one place at a time. It is a blessing and a curse. I can only get so tired. I can only travel so far. The result is tough choices have to be made. Sometimes I disappoint people I shouldn't. Other times I show up at places I should have avoided. Saturday night was a night of too many choices and only one me. Good JAZZ and BLUES artists allover the Southland. Where to go? Who to see? Decisions---decisions---decisions---The Betty Fox Band was at Arts Garage. I had never seen or heard them. They hail from Tampa and make few appearances on the East coast. Opportunity knocks!!!

Betty Fox is out front and singing. The band has Josh Nelms on guitar, Matt Walker on bass and Sam Farmer at drums. No vocalist could ask for better. Ms. Fox came to sing the BLUES and she did. From New Orleans to Austin. From Chicago all the way back to  Cajun Country. This gal has a set of "pipes" and a personality to match. Adding to those talents she composes and writes the lyrics,  collaborating with Josh,  to a lot of the bands material. Just listening to the opening notes of "I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water" convinced me that I had made a good choice. Betty is bubbly and animated. She adds visual entertainment to the audible. During her performance they played compositions Betty had written for her boyfriend of 5 years, her grandmother and her Dad. Each reflected her deep feelings for them. She mentioned that she loves Howlin' Wolf and did a couple of his songs. She recently celebrated her ??th birthday. She is almost below the age of legal consent. 

Like many BLUES and JAZZ vocalists Betty started singing in church when she was little. She says that she always knew she wanted to sing in a band. Old Time BLUES singers like Bessie Smith were her early inspiration. Her favorite lyric line is "You don't know what love is until you get the feelin' of the BLUES". She did Etta's "Blind Girl" and Patsy Kline’s "Walking" but it was all Betty Fox and all the BLUES.

While Betty was singing "No Other Man", a love song written for her "man" , Sam the drummer man, got all sleepy eyed and dreamy. BLUES lyrics can do that to a guy. Even tough guys. On the other hand Matt Walker dances with his face. Smiling, frowning, grimacing, making lips. All the while strumming out a strong bass line. The only thing I can say about Josh Nelms is one word. Brilliant. Knocked-out, dragged down BLUES. Jump tunes, 2d line rhythms none of it makes a difference. Brilliant solos to each.
If you listen closely you hear a little bit of a JAZZ singer in Betty's lyrical mannerisms. Every once in a while there will be a bar or two or three of "scat". Her use of facial expressions, eyes and mouth add to the dramatics of every song. 

As the evening continued I became aware of a familiarity with her style. Old memories haunted me. Note by note it started to come back. ----Janis Joplin----that was it. The timing, the phrasing. Betty must have listened to hundreds of hours of Janis Joplin. When I asked her about it, she seemed puzzled. "Why?" she asked. I told her about what I felt. She replied that she had seldom listened to Janis, but was flattered by my comment. I think Janis would be pleased as well. Charlie Boyer in his comments about her said "This little gal has soul". He's right.

My apologies to all the other guys and gals who I didn't see last night but I can only be in------------

 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment