Tuesday, November 13, 2012

boogie woogie - Al knows the place, for sure - x8!


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/13/12

This is written with full recognition of the composer Don Raye, Will Bradley (trombone), Ray McKinley (drums), Doc Goldstein (bass) and Freddy Slack (piano)

"If you wanna' hear some boogie then I know the Place"
This Thursday and Friday nights at Arts Garage in Delray Beach. A serious group of pianists will be playing "Boogie-woogie" and BLUES. I wouldn't miss it if I were you or I.

A little history. I was a little kid, 7,8 years old. I had(and still do) two older sisters who were teen-agers (not now-then). Like youngsters of the era they Jitterbugged to the music of the time. They brought home records made of shellac that were 10" or 12". The smaller had about 3 minutes of music. The larger platter a little more than 5.
"It's just an old piano and a knocked out bass"
I liked to watch them dance with the guys who came to our house. One night was a little different. The guys, a little more animated. My sisters seemed to shine a little brighter. A new record was on the turntable. I remember it to this day. "Beat Me Daddy 8 To The Bar". My Dad had a thick leather belt that made me wary of any thing related to beat. I didn't understand the meaning of the words but I felt the rhythm. It was a 12 incher and when the music stopped the dancers were huffing and puffing.
"The drummer mans a guy they call 8 beat Mac"
.
That was my first experience with "boogie-woogie". The next song they put on was "Down The Road A Piece" The lyric is italicized.
"You remember Doc and old beat me Daddy Slack.
Man, it's better than chicken fried in bacon grease,
Come along with me, it's just down the road a piece"
I will be at Art's on Thursday, Meet me after the real musicians are done and I will be glad to "sing" the lyric for you. 


In the original---key?
PIANO BOB PRESENTS THE
3RD ANNUAL SOUTH FLORIDA BOOGIE WOOGIE PIANO FESTIVAL
ARTS GARAGE 180 NORTHEAST 1ST STREET DELRAY BEACH FL
(561)450-6357  artsgarage.org
~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

1 comment :

  1. Would love to not only attend with you but also hear you sing afterwards!
    Love your article and your early musical memories...

    debby

    ReplyDelete