Sunday, August 5, 2012

fasten your seat belt - Al is at the wheel!


Submitted by Al Kanovsky, 8/5/12


 Louis Armstrong-Louis Prima-Louis Jordan-Joe Cocker-Santana-not a chart or piece of sheet music in sight-live musicians. No, it's not music club Heaven.

It's the Hard Rock in Hollywood. Specifically in the lounge of the Council Oaks Room. From Wednesday thru Saturday they have Dale Powers and his group. Wednesday and Thursday dedicated to JAZZ-Friday and Saturday it's still JAZZ to me, but more for JAZZ loving dancers. Flo is still enjoying the Apple and working her butt off helping others. I was there with my (date) Bill. He is a big Dale Powers fan and had brought me here to listen for the first time 3 or 4 years ago. I have been a semi-regular ever since. The line up- Dale fronts the band on keyboard and vocals, Lou Abbott (I'm not kidding) on drums and vocals. Last night there was Tom Roberts on bass. Tom alternates with Matt Bonelli. Completing the group is the effusive Johnny "O" on congas, timbales, bongos, cowbells, tambourine, alto sax, tenor sax and vocals. (I am sure I left something out). Wednesday and Thursday Jesse Jones Jr. generally joins in. Jesse is a wonderful influence on Johnny "O", broadening his creativity.  Listening to these guys play always amazes me. Not only the number of songs they play, but the variety. JAZZ, BLUES, Funk, Rock 'n Roll, Latin, Swing and anything anyone requests. Again not a music stand or chart in sight. Ornette Coleman said it best "JAZZ is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." So regardless of the genre, what this band does is JAM!. If you want to have a lot of fun listening to talented musicians play, make it to this Lounge.

Last week a guy named Ron gave me $100 for my table at Blue Jeans Blues. Last night a gal named Nola achieved the same thing with a smile and a peck on the cheek. That should give you some idea of my values. She was there with her friend Derreck (tall, dark and handsome) and another couple. Nola is sweet, petite and I would have loved to meet her when we were both seventeen. They love the band but really come to dance. And I mean dance. Nola danced every number with intensity and joy. You could tell she loved to dance. Her hips, shoulders, feet, even her lips and eyes danced to the music. Her partner was no slouch either making every rhythmic pattern come alive with his body’s motion. No I didn't get a C-note but had the opportunity to enjoy the evening with new friends. I even got up to shake the booty, doing an enlivened (for an octogenarian) mambo. Sunday headed for the BLUES Jam at Fish Tales and then on to Blue Jeans Blues. Maybe I can find "Yard Note" Ron again. 
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit
http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at
Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment